Wednesday 7 March 2007

le cordon bleu - day 18

There's some kitchen politics going on at the moment which I'm glad I'm not a part of. The head chef has gotten involved, the teachers are wary, and for the rest of us; we seem to have either gotten involved or have noticed the conversations but aren't involved. Fortunately, I belong to the latter group and really, that's the best place to be. Honestly, I'm not too sure what's the commotion is about and I guess one question I would ask is, what's the point? Speaking of which, it's already been 6 weeks for me at LCB; Basic Patisserie is shortly winding up. We've already gotten our assessment timetable plus made all our assessment items; another week or so I've got to sit down and actually do some study and keep my fingers crossed that I'll do ok in the practicals *touchwood*. Time has really flown!

Anyway, today we continued with our puff pastry. I made about 2 boxes of products and still ended up with a good deal of puff pastry dough to take home. One of my classmates gave me her dough as well so I think there's about 1 kg of puff pastry dough which I can still use. Might work on it tonight if I'm not too tired (lol...I'm the biggest bum on a Wednesday afternoon after class :P). As bad as it sounds, I'm a couch potato for at least 3 days of the week :(


So today we had apple turnovers, pithiviers, cream horns and palmiers. My streak of good luck continued with everything coming out of the oven nice and golden brown. A slight drizzle from the lumps of butter that were in my dough but nothing too drastic or awful looking. Seriously, it's such a relief to see your things come out nice after spending so much time and effort on it. Hehe...I reckon I did a pretty good job with the Palmiers; they taste good!

All in all, a rather good week. It's actually really exciting to learn something new everyday and really, I just don't want it to end. Not only am I rewarded with the things I make, the things I've learnt have just been invaluable. It was a hefty price to pay for the course but man, I'm not regretting it one bit! *jenny jumps up and down*. Should be an interesting week next week with all your individual desserts like poached fruits, tarte tartin, creme brulee...hmm...what happens when all that goes in my stomach? :P

No comments: