Saturday 8 September 2007

zenya @ rowe street, eastwood

Whilst it was still boarded up, I remember peeking through the newspaper-covered windows to see what it was looking like inside. The general tone and feel was similar to another Japanese restaurant I'd been to, utilising the dark black panels, sleek silver exhaust fans hanging over the tops of tables and to save a bit of space, using one wall as the back rest for patrons across all the tables. All in all, it looked like it was going to be someplace decent by the time they opened up.

The week the place opened up, I unsuccessfully tried to organise friends to pay this place a visit. As the following weekend rolled by, I finally gave up and took mum with me. The lure of Japanese Ramen was definitely making my stomach grumble. Actually, any Japanese food seems to have that effect on me. Hmm.... how convenient that this place is just down the road!

Seated at a two-seater (me sitting on a rather spongy 'cube' of a chair), mum and I perused over the menu. Lots of Ramen and more or less, your standard Japanese menu. I'd made my choice, it was going to be Ramen and the Agedashi Tofu (if anything, they're my two staples at any Japanese restaurant).

The prettiest and also the smallest of teapots.

Mum's Karrage Chicken Ramen.
My Spicy Miso Ramen.
Agedashi Tofu to share.
Mum and I both loved the Ramen, room to improve on the Agedashi tofu but in general, the place is worthwhile visiting. Excuse the waiters and waitresses who have yet to get past the hiccups of a newly opened restaurant and well, service may be a tad slow as the chefs coordinate all the tables. However, it's a partly open kitchen so you see what you're getting and really, you know when your meal is next in line. Price wise, meals are extremely reasonable and light on the wallet, there's a decently size plasma screen for entertainment and throughout your meal you'll have numbers being called out in Japanese and the sing-song of 'Irashaimase' as patrons walk in.

I'm not too happy with the orange pieces of paper which they've got hanging outside and on their window. It probably will catch your attention though but really, it's SO ugly! Anyway, ignoring that, head inside and see what you think!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

ohhh.... must pay a visit sometime in the next few weeks then :)

Anonymous said...

mmm jap food looks so tasty! hey dude if ya in the neighbourhood ill be at epping twilight markets on fri 4pm-8pm