Tuesday 14 September 2010

adriano zumbo @ MidCity

Thursday night shopping last week was met with a most pleasant surprise - the much sought after cake genius, Adriano Zumbo was at MidCity doing a demonstration of sugar flowers. I think I pinched myself a couple of times to convince myself that I wasn't dreaming...yes, it was Adriano Zumbo in the flesh standing just a metre away from me and hey, I think he just looked at me!

And to prove that I was there, here's a handful of photos from the night. I love that macaron tower!

Ok, here he is and he's looking my way :)

Adriano's rather cheeky smile whilst he's busy at work.

They were handing out a selection of macarons and cakes on the night. I had my eye on this one and strategically placed myself near where they were coming out of the kitchen and grabbed one straight away when they came out.

Cake innards! Yum!

I was actually in the city doing some shopping (not stalking him) so grabbed another photo from the other side as I was walking back to go down the escalators.

My friend M happily joined me in my craziness as I took the above snaps. The boy wasn't as pleased; he stood at the back, tapping his feet and the initial amusement was quickly replaced with a snarl on the face. Apparently I lurked around the demonstration for too long, taking too many photos and giggled a bit too much at the mention of Zumbo. It's been a good while since I've blogged about Zumbo here...I hadn't forgotten about him, I think I've just found myself falling in love again! Haha...just kidding. I do think he's a cake genius though and would absolutely love to learn how to make his cakes and macarons!

5 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Love how even for such a little cake that the innards are so intricate and neat! So much effort must go into each of these little morsels of deliciousness.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe you are an expert positioning yourself there Panda! Poor boy, I guess it's hard to see your gf taking pics and getting excited over someone else! :P

Eliza Jane said...

ooh damn I thought Adriano Zumbo was appearing tomorrow! Lucky you that you got to witness the mad magician in person, and score a magnificent macaron! I'm digging your blog. Being a fellow Sydney foodie, and avid baker, your lovely muffin recipes are a treat! x

missklicious said...

Lucky you!

The free cake looks so good.

panda said...

mademoiselle delicieuse - that's exactly why i love zumbo! you just can't get cakes like that anywhere else!

lorraine - well i was there anyway so thought i'd better make the most of it! and yes, i do feel bad when it comes to the boy but he got a piece of cake too when they were handing them out :)

eliza jane - shame you missed it! but you can find zumbo at his terry st. cafe, i ended up seeing him again two days after i saw him at midcity. anyway, thanks for popping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment!

missklicious - if only that piece of cake was a bit bigger, it would last longer and stop me having constant cravings for more of his creations!