Monday 29 August 2011

jaffa muffins

People don't understand me. They ask me what my favourite cake is and I'll tell them that I like muffins - they're my favourite cake in the world! I see a few confused faces looking back at me and then follows the comments of 'but they're so dry', 'I on the other hand prefer this cake...', 'Are you sure muffins are your favourite cake?' Well they are, they come in ever so many combinations, you can mix up a batch in no time and they're always really tasty. Some people make a bad muffin, I don't like them so much but the ones I make are really quite good (not to blow my own horn or anything but they are). I blame those people who make bad muffins who give muffins a bad name.

At the moment, I'm on a bit of agenda to use up some baking ingredients I have at home. Partly because a recent trip to Costco left me with purchases which I can't quite store in the pantry and currently crowding the dining table much to my dad's dislike... ah well! The second reason is I'm on holiday soon so will be a little quiet on the blog front.

Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Line a 12 hole muffin tin. In a large bowl, mix together 300g plain flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, a pinch of salt. In a separate bowl,  combine 200g caster sugar, 1 large egg, 180mL milk, 125mL vegetable oil, 2 tbsp finely grated orange zest, 2tsp vanilla extract and mix well. Stir in the orange mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir in 180g dark chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin liners. 

Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes until golden and risen.

Cool the muffins on a cooling rack. 

And the last step to all my recipes is... dig in!

The chocolate chips I used were the ones I bought from Costco. They made my muffins taste awfully American - I think it's cause the chocolate was a lot bitter than the ones you get from Nestle here and that's what I associate with American chocolate. Every bite of it just shouted out at me - this tastes American (as bizarre as it sounds). That bag of chocolate is huge and I hardly made a dent to it making this batch of muffins. Officially on the hunt for more chocolate chip recipes. If you have any good ones, please throw them my way!

2 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

If people think muffins are/should be dry then they're eating the wrong ones!

♥ P said...

these muffins are AH MAZING! I made this for morning tea yesterday and there were very well received! THANK YOU!