Wednesday 16 June 2010

rosy apricot & pistachio biscotti

If you're looking for a trusty biscotti recipe, look no further, I think I have just the one for you. I can't say that I'm a pro at making biscotti but I have tried a handful of them and so far this has worked the best. It might come as a bit of a surprise but rosewater, apricot and pistachio make a lovely combination and being someone that has always found rosewater too sweet, I've definitely changed my mind.

It was actually after making this batch of biscotti that I had the funniest of conversations with my younger brother. I'd come home the next day with my brother asking me whether he could eat the biscotti. Of course I said yes (I'm of the mindset that food is made to be eaten and you can always knock up another batch). His response was one that I'll remember forever, 'Ok cool, we'll I've already had two' and just as he's saying the words, he's opening the container to grab another handful to munch on. I just laughed.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line an oven tray. Whisk 220g caster sugar and 2 eggs in a bowl. Stir in 200g sifted plain flour and 50g sifted self raising flour.

Add to the mix 55g chopped dried apricots (I'm finding the Mezzaluna incredibly handy! I learnt about this watching way too many episodes of Nigella in the one sitting), 45g unsalted roasted pistachios and 4tsp rosewater.

In the bowl, use the spatula and shape the dough into 2x 30cm rolls. You'll find the dough a little bit stickier than the last 2 recipes I've posted. Refrain from adding extra flour - you just need to trust me on this one. Bake for 30 minutes.

Cool on tray for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 150 degrees.

Using a serrated knife, cut logs diagonally into 5mm slices. Place slices on lined oven trays and bake biscotti for about 20 minutes until, turning halfway through baking.

Cool on wire racks.

In case you were wondering, my last 3 biscotti posts have been adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly 'Macaroons & Biscuits' book. Might I say a rather pretty book which I couldn't help myself buying even though I more or less have all of the Women's Weekly recipes. I have a few more recipes coming up that I've adapted from the book and well, if my opinion is anything to go by, this is a great book to have around when planning catering for an afternoon tea. 

6 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

This would my next biscotti recipe! They look beyond yummilicious and perfect to chew on while watching the football!

Thank you, Jenny, for stopping by my blog. :-)

mashi said...

OMG, rosewater, I love rosewater (in small doses of course). Definitely looking forward to trying this recipe out. Thanks for sharing x

Anonymous said...

More biscotti! I love how you describe it as rosy. How much better can it sound?

It seems tea party perfect.

Amy @ cookbookmaniac said...

I just bought this book a week ago and it really makes me want to get back into the kitchen and bake

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

You realise you're fasting turning into the biscotti queen, yes? But I do love them dunked into cups of tea =p

panda said...

angie - do let me know how you go once you try this recipe!

mashi - i've recently become quite taken to rosweater. had a rosewater macaron at lindt cafe which was divine. quite tempted to make a rose macaron myself!

vickys- now that you've mentioned it, i want to have a tea party!

amy - i think you and i have a lot of the same books :)

mademoiselle delicieuse - lol, there are so many biscotti recipes still to try! but i think my next conquest will be the macaron!