Wednesday 12 November 2008

cupcakes on pitt @ pitt st., town hall

It's been a good year or so since I was last at Cupcakes on Pitt. The last time I went, they still had the large sized cupcakes and now they've all been replaced by the smaller/bite sized ones which cost $2 each. It actually makes more sense that they're smaller - they're much easier to eat and not as filling. Well, that's until you scoff 3 of them down in one sitting which is what I did when I got home that day after picking up 6 cupcakes en route to the train station after work.

Check it out! The cupcakes have new packaging. So pretty! You can't believe how many people stared at me that day going to the train station, on the train and then on the walk home. So funny, I even caught my mum's attention (we were on the same train and she saw my box of cupcakes before she saw me!)
The flavours: Tiramisu, Pumpkin, Lemon Meringue, Peanut Butter, Green Tea and Cookies & Cream. There's actually quite a few more flavours to choose from - these were my top 6.
First to get eaten was the green tea, followed by the pumpkin - these were their most breakout flavours and I'm pretty sure they didn't have these flavours back a year ago. Liked the green tea, pumpkin - indifferent. To be honest, I was actually a little disappointed with the cupcakes - they just don't seem to taste the same. These smaller cupcakes are a lot drier (probably cause the icing on the top doesn't actually cover the entire top of the cake) and the texture is just very crumby. Can anyone tell me what's happened? I actually think the new cupcake shop that's opened up near Wynard is tasting better.

5 comments:

char said...

green tea cupcakes yum ! :D

ChocolateSuze said...

pumpkin?! awesome!!! i NEEED to try that!

panda said...

char & suze - definitely go try and let me know if there are any other new flavours. i was surprised that they had both green tea and pumpkin!

missklicious said...

Wow! Green tea and pumpkin? I've never seen those before. Every time I've been they've only had the usual flavours. The cupcakes are prettier than they taste though unfortunately.

I know what you mean about the packaging! One time I got them, at least 5 people commented, including ladies at the asian grocery, restaurant etc lol it was quite funny!

What's the new cupcake place at Wynyard called?

panda said...

missklicious - i was actually lucky because the pumpkin and green tea ones were the last ones on display. and yeah, it's a shame when cupcakes look prettier than they taste!

hahaha...glad to hear that i'm not the only one being stared at with that box..you have to admit that it is pretty though

as for the new place - it's 'the cupcake bakery' - 320b george st., check it out, they have big jumbo sized cake cupcakes!