Friday 26 March 2010

jools' favourite saturday afternoon pasta

Jamie Oliver calls this recipe 'Jools' favourite saturday afternoon pasta' but now I'm about to call it 'My favourite Sunday lunch pasta'. The recipe is from 'Cook with Jamie' and is possibly the easiest and tastiest pasta recipe that I've ever used. You don't quite need to follow the measurements exactly and feel free to omit/change ingredients with what you have at home and I can guarantee you, this recipe will still work a charm. In Jamie's introduction to this recipe, he says you'll hardly need a brain to cook this one up. I agree; cooking and eating should be easy and this recipe more than well spells out easy.

Here's the book (and the loaf I was baking in my last post). I've adapted the recipe a little to what I had at home. The following is my version of the recipe.

Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan and cook 1 brown onion (peeled and finely chopped), 3 fresh red chillis (deseeded and finely chopped), 1 tsp ground cinnamon on a medium to low heat for 5 minutes until the onion has softened. Turn up the heat and add a 800g tin of crushed tomatoes, 3x175g cans of tuna in olive oil (drained and flaked) and a good pinch of salt. Break the tuna with the back of a spoon. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook 1 bag of penne pasta in salted boiling water according to the packet instructions. When al dente, drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water. Toss the pasta into the tuna an tomato sauce with a splash of olive oil, zest and juice of 2 lemons, parmesan and mix together well. Loosen the pasta with a little of the reserved cooking water if needed.

Season with salt, pepper and extra parmesan to taste.

Jamie uses basil in his recipe which gives this pasta a bit more colour but even without the basil, I thought this recipe tasted great. The chilli and lemon are an unlikely combination that works rather well.

And well, I've got a slight crush on Jamie Oliver at the moment (after watching his show in Melbourne two weekends ago) so expect a few more Jamie Oliver posts coming up soon. Watch this space!

3 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Jamie Oliver is not only to be admired for his cooking skills but also how he feels good, home cooking can change the world. So simple yet so achievable!

Anonymous said...

I love the sound and look of this! Definitely good for a brainless night, especially after a long day of say, shopping, work or even baking a super tedious cake. I would so add some peas and extra CHEESE. mmmm.

mydi said...

hmmm...looks great Jenny =) Maybe I should open that book... I've had the recipe book for years! Sitting on my shelf collecting dust ever since I had to put away my cooking for the ever dreaded studying... you've just inspired me to open it up now that I have more time! =)