Sunday 11 July 2010

mini florentines

Whenever I see florentines, I think of the ones I used to make at Le Cordon Bleu. To date, the Le Cordon Bleu ones are the best I've seen and tasted and in hindsight, I really should've pulled out that recipe before I made this batch. This was almost like a cheat's version and well, whilst comparatively easier and quicker to make, they just weren't quite a proper florentine (I really need to see where I put my Le Cordon Bleu folder and trust me, that's the only recipe you'll need to have).

Anyway, if you're after a quick florentine fix, you'll find it in the AWW 'Macaroons & Biscuits' book. This ended up being my bible for all my catering baking and having made the choc nut slice with half a box of cornflakes, this batch of florentines easily finished the box.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line oven trays with baking paper. Combine 4 cups corn flakes, 240g sultanas and 120g roasted flaked almonds in a bowl. Quarter 200g red glace cherries and add to the bowl.

Add 320ml sweetened condensed milk.

Drop tablespoons of mixture about 5cm apart on trays. 

Bake for about 5 minutes.

Let to cool on trays.

Spread the bases of the florentines with melted dark chocolate. Run fork through chocolate to make a wave pattern. Stand at room temperature until set.

These pics you see are the best ones from the day. Not sure where I went wrong but I had half trays that baked ok but then crumbled into pieces as soon as I tried tipping it in chocolate. Then to salvage (and not waste anything), I started stuffing these into my mouth and managed to get chocolate all over the place. A bit on my face, a bit on my sleeve, some on the table, a little bit on the chair and some dried bits of chocolate are still to be found scattered throughout the kitchen as I type...so if I can offer any advice, don't wave your arms around when you're stuffing yourself with melted chocolate - the result is chocolate everywhere and I am living proof of it. 

6 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Not a big fan of Florentines, mainly because of the dried fruit I think, but I do like the bite-sized nature of these. (And hey, that jelly bean background is so cute!)

panda said...

i was never a big fan of florentines until i made the lcb ones (will definitely share that recipe with you!). haha..you are the only person to say that the jelly bean background is cute. it's our tablecloth at home which mum thought it was cute and bought - everyone at home thinks it's quite hideous! lol...

Amy @ cookbookmaniac said...

I've never met a florentine I didn't like. I used to work in a sandwich shop in my teenage years and stuffed myself with them. These florentines look a lot more flavourful. I this book. I'll definiately bookmark it !

mashi said...

I'm dreaming of eating melted chocolate with bits of the florentine ingredients you've listed haha

Sometimes it doesn't matter if the food doesn't turn out right as long as it still tastes good

miss u girl, catch up way overdue

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

I love florentines.. (and when I made it at LCB, I ate it slowly cuz didn't want to finish it..haha)

Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-Bar said...

I really like Florentines! Its one of my favourite sweet snacks!