Tuesday 28 June 2011

white chocolate & peanut butter cupcakes

My mum has been spoiling me lately with cookbooks; added to my collection are 'The Golden Book of Chocolate', 'The Golden Book of Cookies', 'Chocolat', 'The Le Cordon Bleu Collection' (which is a collection of 20 titles) and let's not forget dad who picked up several foodie DVDs in the recent sales. Anything food related leaves me giddy with excitement and I've been eagerly pouring through the latest new additions with a fine toothed comb - selecting recipes to make and try out. My eyes fell for the white chocolate peanut butter cupcakes in 'The Golden Book of Chocolate' (which is a collection of over 300 recipes).

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12 hole muffin tray. In a large bowl, beat together 60g softened butter, 125g crunchy peanut butter, 100g dark brown sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract until creamy. Add in 1 egg until blended. Sift in 150g wholewheat flour, 50g plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt and beat into the mix with 125mL milk. Stir in 180g white chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake for approx. 25 minutes.

Here's how they look in the cookbook compared to how mine's turned out.

Cool on a wire rack. I actually find it strange that this recipe calls them cupcakes, they actually taste and look more like muffins. I always see cupcakes as being a lot more moist and sweet. 

This is the perfect recipe for the peanut butter fanatic - a bite into this leaves you with peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth. The white chocolate provides a little bit of sweetness but if anything, it's the peanut butter which will get your attention. 

2 comments:

mashi said...

Yum, I want one. I haven't been baking in a while coz work is crazy busy but this looks like a great recipe.

Kudos to your parents for spoiling you with so many cookbooks and DVDs =)

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Love how your mother's spoiling you with cooking-related gifts =) Perhaps she's giving you hints to bake more? You seem to be pretty good at making use of the cookbooks you have, though, which is more than can be said for me!