Monday 28 December 2009

sugarcane @ reservoir st., surry hills

The last month has gone by in a bit of a blur, it started off with my b'day, then all of a sudden it was Christmas and now it's just the last couple of days before 2009. Well I managed to finish all my Christmas cards today so apologies for everyone getting late cards in the mail (it wasn't Australia Post, it was me finishing and posting them after Christmas). As for this blog, I said to J that I probably should skip some blog posts and get to the Christmas ones but he's been quite adamant that I do things in order and do it right. Anyway, here's where I went for my b'day...

Offering a cross section of south-east Asian cuisine stands Sugarcane on Reservoir St. in Surry Hills (just across the road from Central Station). You probably would miss this place if you were walking by as the entrance to the restaurant appears to bury itself flush against the outer wall of the building it's in. The sign 'sugarcane' is discreet, that's until you hear the noise from within when the place fills up. My b'day was on a Thursday this year and on a Thursday night, all the tables were quickly filled up.

Roti with curry sauce, cucumber & chilli. The roti was fluffy and well complemented by the cuts of cucumber and fresh chilli.
Crispy skin chicken with blood plum sauce and shallot. This was my favourite of the night, so tasty and a most generous serving. We ended up doggy bagging half of this for home.
Duck curry. There were two duck legs in this curry. It was because of this dish (a duck leg each) that we ended up doggy bagging the other dishes home.
Stir fried Chinese broccoli with silken tofu and yellow beans. Again, half of this went into the doggy bag but wow, how silken was the tofu!

Service was friendly and the dishes got to our table rather quickly. We had trouble getting everything onto the table at one stage but the waitress kindly helped us move things around to accommodate. Thanks to the lovely waitress who more than eagerly helped us take a photo. I had a fantastic evening and b'day thanks to everyone at Sugarcane.

Thanks J for the choice of restaurant and all my b'day pressies. Loved the roses but I'm even more in love with my copy of the Larousse Gastronomique!!

4 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Don't think I can ever turn down roti =) A happy belated birthday to you and yay for Larousse Gastronomique! I'm currently waiting for my copy to arrive from an online purchase.

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I can't seem to find an email contact for you, so apologies that I've had to leave another comment here!

I've selected you for an 'Over The Top!' blog award. Please swing by my blog to collect it and see what it involves.

And an early happy 2010 to you!

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

Belated Happy birthday toooooo... the crispy chicken salad looks so nice...

I also got Larousse Gastronomique.. haha. I ordered from Amazon and after I received it, I havent even opened it yet :P

panda said...

mademoiselle delicieuse - agree with you, i wouldn't be able to turn down roti ever. The buttery and flakey goodness of roti!! and yay, you've got yourself a copy of the larousse too; hope it comes soon, i can't wait to dig into mine. And thanks so much for the award!!

beansprout - thanks ja! i think you'll like the crispy chicken and lol, another person who's got the larousse gastronomique! i don't know where to start with the book!