Tuesday 20 April 2010

lord of the fries @ elizabeth st., melbourne

So I have a rather impressive stomach. After 4 hours of eating at Vue de Monde, a little bit of waddling afterwards, two hours later, I'm all ready to eat. The boy is the same although my stomach is probably bigger than his or shall I say, he hides it better than I do? Ah well, I figured that it's never going to be fair. The boy has a better metabolism than I do, I just get fat when I eat too much and unfortunately trips to Melbourne seem to facilitate the process!

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent now. Back to our choice of dinner that night before going to see Jamie Oliver at Hisense Arena; this is a place I've been wanting to try for the last 3 trips I've made to Melbourne (spanning at least the last 2.5 years), the rather famous 'Lord of the Fries'.

We order the meal deal with the 2 regular LOTF burgers & chips.

I was rather impressed by the burgers which have a vegetarian patty 'which has the look, taste, texture of beef'. The boy's first comment was that 'it's not beef' which gradually lead to comments about how he'd be hungry again later that night. Might explain why they have the meal deal with the 2 burgers - you'd probably get that all for yourself if you were hungry.

Dinner was enjoyed by the banks of the Yarra River.

It's all smoking and happening in the building right across from us!


My verdict - the chips are much healthier than your regular chip (and well, lots of fun to eat out of the cone shapped wrappers) but I was definitely much more impressed by the beef tasting vegie patty in my burger. The patty had just the right amount of spiciness and after eating such a long lunch, the burger was just the right amount of food for me. However, if you are like the boy and enjoy your meat, you may be a little disappointed and get a bit hungry later on. Anyway, having reading about Lord of the Fries across blogs far and wide, I was just glad to finally try it out for myself!

4 comments:

mashi said...

I've been wanting to try that place out for some time now. Every single trip to Melb either ends up with the relatives @ asian restaurants or it's a work thing and we "network" fine dine at some of the wonderful restaurants Melb has on offer.

Loved this review and I promise myself, if my next trip isn't work related, I'm going to LOTF!

panda said...

mashi - it was the same with me. for some reason it just took me forever to try this place out. I think it's also the fact that there's no where to sit which makes it hard to try this place out. you end up carrying your burger and chips around trying to find somewhere to eat it. anyway, glad you liked this post!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

When I was last in Melbourne I indulged in so much dining out that I found it really hard to have room for 'snacks'. Thus, Lord of the Fries was missed again!

Restaurant In Melbourne said...

Hi
Nice blog about melbourne restaurant and it's deals thanks for this blog i like it
dinner deals melbourne