Tuesday 17 May 2011

been read cafe & 2ndhand bookshop @ pittwater rd., gladesville

Two words summarise me quite well - food & books. I'm either eating or making food and if I'm not doing that, I'm reading a book or perusing a bookshop looking for a book. Cookbooks seem to be the compromise of the two which is why I have a fair few of them and well, when I stumble across a cafe that combines my much loved food with books, it most definitely will be a hit! Been Read Cafe & 2nd hand bookshop in Gladesville was actually a place that the boy stumbled across when he was at home reading the local paper and well, worked out well on a day when we were out and about and just happened to be in the area.

Toasted chicken sandwich with cheese and mixed salad.

The boy's beef burger which the owner humbly apologised about as she forgot to mention that she was out of burger bread and would serve on normal bread. She kindly offered us free coffees with our meal!

A lemon tart to share certainly hit the spot.

Whilst waiting for the food, I busied myself searching through the shelves of books (surely there must be thousands?) and did another round after I finished my food. Settled on these 2 books to go. A vintage copy of 'Gelatine Home Cooking Secrets' which was only $2 and 'Lunch in Paris' which was $9. I've finished reading Lunch in Paris which is part cookbook/part true story and eagerly wanting to make something with gelatine - probably very old fashioned but that's the way I roll!

I keep hinting to the boy that maybe we could have lunch here again but he doesn't seem to pick up on the hint. To be quite honest, I'd be more than happy to spend a day sitting at the cafe reading a book, searching through the bookshelves and fingers crossed stumble across a gem like my $2 gelatine cookbook and be absolutely over the moon. Ah well, till next time!

3 comments:

missklicious said...

Ooh, I love places with books!

And boys need more than hints, you pretty much need to spell things out aka demand :P

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Definitely two of my loves as well. Love the quietness of book stores, as if life pauses for however long you're browsing at books. And food, well, no explanation required there!

Von said...

Ever since I started having an interest in food, I've sorta stopped reading fiction books now- I spend most of my time reading cookbooks instead :D This cafe sounds awesome! And the gelatine cookbook looks so cute! :)