Monday 12 December 2011

zumbo dessert train @ the star (take 2)

So I know I said I'd wait another month before I headed back to the Zumbo desert train but chance had it I was in the city, I was grabbing dinner and just happened to be grabbing dinner at the Star. It only made sense to pop back into Zumbo's to see if there were any new additions. And I can excitedly say, yes there are additions and improvements! First of all, there was no queue to get a seat on the train (but we were there at about 8pm, earlier than my previous visit), there were individual cakes on the train (making the train a lot fuller) and overall, a much larger variety of desserts on the train to select from. I continued to work my way through the list!

Peach Melba - Fresh raspberries, blood peach compote, vanilla creme Chantilly, vanilla emulsion, raspberry pistachio cake. 

Ssnowmanorr - Pate a choux, bubble tea custard, lychee coconut creme legere, lychee gel, coconut crunch. Hands down my favourite Zumbo creation; such a great mix of Asian flavours and none too sweet either - I thought I would need to abandon the necktie of the Snowman which was made out of fondant but actually very palateable.

With my favourite dessert of the day!

Chocolate Coffee Brulee - Chocolate coffee brulee, chocolate sacher cake, milk emulsion and expresso melt. The shards of brulee topping ended up being to thick to eat so I left them on the plate, otherwise the coffee brulee overs a real coffee kick for the coffee fanatic.

And something for the road - a box of Macaroni Road! (available from the retail store next door to the dessert train)  You will probably fall off your chair if I tell you how much it costed (well my jaw did drop a little when I asked at the counter and they told me it was $19.50, was thinking it would be closer to $10) but as you can see, curiousity killed my wallet and I bought it. Though I have to say, its awfully tasty and I'm savouring every bite!

So I've only been  to the Zumbo dessert train twice but embarrassingly it seems that some of the staff recognise me from my last visit. Perhaps I'll need to prolong my next visit to keep a bit low key; I don't eat that many desserts and anyway, the record I believe is still 8 plates on the dessert train, I don't eat that much (I don't think). Anyway, great to see that the dessert train is responding to the feedback that is cropping up across the blogosphere. Look forward to my next visit and next installment of tasty delights!

7 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

i still havent gone to the zumbo train! /jealous

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Good to see the Ssnowmanorr on the train - I thought it made no sense that the individual cakes weren't on there. I've tried the Macaroni Road - but had no idea it was THAT pricey!

joey@forkingaroundsydney said...

Eight by one person? That's a lot of sweetness! I could only manage two-and-a-half ....

Spencer said...

I hear so much about the Zumbo train. Will definitely have to get there one day!

mrs edmonton said...

I would love to visit that place too and try all delicious desserts there. :D

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Haha wonder why you're so recogniseable...?

Sophie said...

I'm yet to visit the train side to the Zumbo store. I tried the Zumbarons last night though, they were fantastic!