Wednesday 5 January 2011

potato salad

The amount of potato I eat is actually quite frightening and I'm surprised that I haven't quite turned into a potato yet. Well if I go missing one day, you'll more than likely find me in a potato sack cause I've turned into one! I love my crisps, hot chips dusted with chicken salt, baked spuds piled high with melting sour cream, mashed potato, roasted potato, potato gratin, have yet to try duck fat roasted potatoes (but the sound of it is already quite tasty) and last but not least, potato salad.

I came across this potato salad recipe just before Christmas and ended up making it for two separate Christmas parties. In both instances, the salad was completely gobbled up and I had several people asking me for the recipe. Well the recipe comes from Hamlyn's '200 super salads' by Alice Storey and here's how I made it...


Peel and rinse 1kg brushed new potatoes and cut into walnut sized pieces. Cook in lightly salted boiling water until tender (you should be able to slide a fork into the potato without any effort if the potato has cooked through). Rinse under cold water and let to cool.

Meanwhile, slice 250g smoked streaky bacon into thin strips. Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and cook the bacon until gold, drain on kitchen paper and allow to cool. Finally dice 10 spring onions, reserving some for garnish.

Put the potatoes, finally sliced spring onions and bacon in a large salad bowl. Gently stir in 175mL mayonnaise ( I recommend S&W Delikatessen Mayo because it tastes absolutely scrumptious). Season to taste with cracked salt and pepper. Garnish with the reserved spring onions and serve.

2 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Love potato salad! Even when it was only Mum's potato + peas + mayo. Nowadays my version is more similar to your one here, but usually with the addition of wholegrain mustard and wedges of hardboiled egg.

Mary said...

I love potato salad and hot chips with chicken salt! Or hot chips with cheese and gravy. :D I rarely make potato salad since you have to use so much mayonnaise...it kind of cancels out the benefit of eating veges.