Friday 29 January 2010

mixed berry friands

I popped by my old blog the other day and scrawled through entries posted almost 4 years ago and noticed how often I baked friands. I seemed to alternate between blueberry friands and raspberry friands; it's no wonder that the boy started to get addicted to them. And well, you'd think that after so many times baking friands, I would've got the recipe spot on but to this day, I'm still trying to get it right. Here's a batch of mixed berry friands (a good compromise between blueberry and raspberry friands) that were cooked on the 'bake' setting on my oven. Usually I use the 'fan forced' setting but found that the sides of the friand were browning a bit too quickly when I wasn't keeping an eye on the oven.

Ingredients - 180g butter, 160g icing sugar, 75g plain flour, 125g ground almonds, 5 egg whites, zest of 1 lemon, 125g mixed berries.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Butter a 12 hole friand mould. Melt the butter and allow to cool. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, and mix in the ground almonds. Lightly beat the egg whites with a fork for 30 seconds, then stir into the dry ingredients. Add the melted butter and lemon zest and stir well. Divide the mix into the friand tin, top with mixed berries and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Test with a skewer to check if they are ready. When ready, take out of the oven and cool for 10 minutes before unmoulding onto a cooling rack.
On the 'bake' setting of the oven, the friands came out less brown than usual.
On top of the friands being less brown, I also managed to get a full batch of 12 friands. Usually I manage to only get the 9 or 10. The friands stuck to the tin quite a bit this time but that could've been because I was eager to eat one and tried pulling them out of the tin as soon as they came out of the oven. (Usually when you rest for the full 10 minutes, the sides of the friand pull away from the tin so you can just tip the whole tin upside down and they'll fall out).

On the whole, a success because these friands tasted lovely. And I'm out of berries for now so my next batch of friands will be something a bit different!

7 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I've got a trusty mini-friand recipe which is very replicable but I don't know how to convert it to a 'normal sized' friand recipe! ><

Margaret said...

:O They look insanely yummy!
Thanks for the sweet comment over at mine :)
<3 xx

Anonymous said...

They do look very good indeed! Are you off to the US soon (re your reading material?) :)

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

haha... about to say that u bake friands so often :D

wanna ask the same thing as Lorraine.. where and when? :)

panda said...

mademoiselle delicieuse - whenever i come across a trusty recipe, i stick by it no matter what. and anyway, mini friands are good, you won't feel too guilty eating a few of them

marjorie - friands are probably my specialty. I seem to do ok each time i make them.

nqn - yep yep, thinking of heading to the states later this year so doing some reading now :) need to also save up a bit too!

beansprout - i know i know...and there's so many friand recipes but i keep baking berry ones! at the moment, still deciding on which places in the states to go to. if anything, the trip will be at the backend of this year. i'll keep you posted!

LuDivine said...

am about to try it just now... will let you know what I think as soon as i eat one!! ;-)

LuDivine said...

ok... that wasnt very successful!! i tried to only use the bake option on my oven, but after 15mns they were far from cooked, so i added 7mn of fan bake.. maybe a wee bit too much.. they came out a "just about time" gold colour!!!

Then I cannot take them out of the mould even tho they are swimming in grease.... hmmmm i really dont know how i could be such a loosy baker!!! LOL

Yours look so much more appetizing!!! ;-) will try again another day!