Wednesday 6 January 2010

sultana scones

There's recipes that you'll spend a fortune just buying the ingredients, then add the hours that go into making the recipe and at the end of it, you're still likely to fail at the attempt in which case you start all over. My type of cooking generally steers away from those recipes. I do still look and drool over them but when it comes to me in the kitchen, the key ingredient is simplicity. The simpler the recipe, the easier it is in making, and the more satisfied you are at the end of it. As much as I love being in the kitchen I'm not one for slaving away for hours and not achieving anything (I actually get quite frustrated and take things quite badly...just ask J).

Here's the batch of sultana scones I made using the recipe from Bill Granger's 'Simply Bill'. I find myself going to Bill quite a bit these days for my recipes. Recipe was for a batch of 12 scones, I managed to get 15.
Ingredients: 1 tbsp icing sugar, 310g plain flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt, 60g sultanas, 1 tsp orange zest, 250ml milk, 30g unsalted butter (melted). Most of the ingredients were found in my pantry/fridge. Cooking them was even easier. Sift all the dry ingredients together, add the orange zest + sultanas and finally stir in the wet ingredients. Knead together quickly until smooth, place on a floured surface and roll to about 3cm thick. Cut out 5cm rounds and place together close on a tray. Cook for about 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 220 degrees.
Serve with butter and jam!
I've actually been doing quite a bit of baking lately and less of the eating out. Quite liking Bill, my copy of 'In the Kitchen' and well Nigella is making a comeback. I got her boxed DVD set over Christmas and I'm watching my way through them (and well time to unearth all my Nigella cookbooks!). Over the Christmas break, there's been a few more additions to my cookbook collection which I'll introduce in due time. And well, blogger is telling me that this is my 300th post!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 300th post! These look wonderful, I do love sultana scones and they look like they rose perfectly! :D

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Congrats on your 300th post! That's absolutely amazing, esp considering I have yet to make it to 100. More baking to celebrate? =p

Sarah said...

Those scones look great! I've been craving scones lately, hehe.

Congratulations on your 300th post!!

xox Sarah

missklicious said...

I'm craving scones now! They look so yummy.

I've tagged you to complete a random photo post by the way! Check out my blog for the details. =)

panda said...

nqn - thanks lorraine! and yep, these scones did rise nicely. i find it helps when you bake them pushed together.

mademoiselle delicieuse - thanks! i'm sure it won't take long for you to get up to 300 posts (i'm a huge fan so make sure that you do!) and yes, definitely more baking to celebrate!

sarah - i actually love making scones and love them even better with a cup of tea. thanks!!

missklicious - I'll get to the post ASAP! and mmm...i think i'll bake another batch of scones this week :)