Sunday 24 January 2010

white chocolate & cranberry christmas baubles

I grudgingly admit that I'm one of those people who take recipes off the recipe pads in supermarkets (by recipe pads, I mean those ones that get cable tied to the shelf and which draw your attention to a particular product). In most cases, I do end up buying the advertised product because I need it to make the recipe but then half the time, I just take the recipe and add it to my collection. And well, I do like hunting them out although you'll find more of them at Easter and Christmas time when Nestle and the other companies are trying to get you to bake a bit more. It's become a bit of a habit and sometimes I find I'm in the supermarket and leaving with a recipe without actually buying anything.

This post is long overdue but this was one of the recipes that I picked up prior to Christmas. I ended baking these for my the last day of work (Christmas Eve) and these worked out to be a quite a treat. They were pretty little things and just the right size to pop a few into your mouth and not feel too guilty.

Ingredients: 4 cups dessicated coconut, 395g can NESTLE Sweetened Condensed milk, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 2 tsp lemon zest, 180g Plaistowe Extra Creamy Premium White, chopped.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line two baking trays. Combine coconut, condensed milk, cranberries and lemon zest and half the white chocolate in a bowl. Roll level teaspoons of mixture into baubles.
Place baubles on prepared oven trays, bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Place remaining half of the white chocolate in a bowl, microwave on low for three minutes, or until melted. Drizzle baubles with the melted white chocolate and top with extra cranberries.
Christmas baubles ready to eat!
These baubles are slightly chewy in texture and really aren't too sweet. The best thing about them is that they're extremely easy to make and look fantastic. It's probaby the first time ever that I've baked something that was as Christmasey as this and well, seems like everyone at work enjoyed them (I had an empty box to take home). Thanks to S for helping me get them around the office!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh they are so cute! I love white chocolate and cranberry together too. The tartness of the cranberries goes so well with the sweetness of the white chocolate :)

OohLookBel said...

Cranberry and white choc don't have to be reminiscent of Christmas, just call them 'bites'. they look delicious, regardless.

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I always take those recipes too! I may not make them but it's good to get ideas from them about ingredients and cooking times =)

Margaret said...

cute blog :) those look deeelicious.
stop by mine some time
http://shinebythree.blogspot.com
xx

mydi said...

Hey Jenny! Procrastinating has lead me through many different links and finally to your blog =) Its really very awesome! The effort you put into this is amazing... pics look great! Kudos to Justin as well for some of the pics! lol. Food looks great! miss your cooking, girl! chat laters ^^

panda said...

nqn - agree with you, white choc and cranberry is naturally a good combo :)

belle - i was actually thinking that too, i think you can have these baubles any times of the year :)

mademoiselle delicieuse - we seem to eat/hang out around the same area...i'll keep an eye out for you to see if we're grabbing those recipes at the same time. but yeah, i actually use those recipe cards more for inspiration than actually cooking them all the time.

marjorie - thanks for popping by my blog! i like yours too :)

mydi - you've disappeared off the face of the earth, was expecting to see you at dinner tonight and was told you were still studying! stop procrastinating and lol to the fact that you've rediscovered my blog whilst procrastinating :P good luck and hope to see you soon!