Monday 4 January 2010

sagunja @ mandarin centre, chatswood

Makoto at Chatswood (or Makoto in the city) has always been my default choice of Sushi train. Chatswood because it's close enough to home and well, Makoto's sushi speaks for itself; the largest range of sushi on one conveyer belt, always fresh and each piece of sushi is a work of art. Admittedly they are pricey and well, the wait in the queue can put you off at times but then again, where else can I get the same thing?

Well it seems that two sushi trains have opened up in Chatswood over the last couple of months to rival Makoto. One just outside Chatswood Chase, the other on the foodcourt level at the Mandarin Centre. I have yet to make my way to the one outside Chase but I did get the opportunity to try out Sagunja which is the one in Mandarin Centre.

All plates of sushi are $2.50 each including this seared salmon...
And this one with the scallops...they're all $2.50!
With 9 of us that night, here's what we ate! Trust me, we attracted more than enough attention with the two tables next to us each trying to compete for a taller stack and smiles all the way from the chef's making the sushi.
There's not a whole lot of seating around the sushi train. There's seating on the side which is probably a bit better if you're dining in a group.
Whilst most of us were amused by our sushi plate stack, the waitresses weren't quite so enthusiastic. Look at the concentration on their faces trying to pull the stack apart without knocking it over.
A mighty fun night with plates of $2.50 sushi! Dinner ended up being about $15pp including hot green tea which I thought was a bargain. Notably, the size of the sushi is probably a tad smaller than what you'd expect at most other places but you're still getting value. For the amount we paid, we were all full on sushi (including the boys!) which is not something I can say about every sushi place. It was amusing building our sushi plate stack, we came in at just under 50 plates so I challenge you out there to build a bigger stack!

15 comments:

missklicious said...

That's one mighty stack. Great effort!

Stephcookie said...

Oh my god that is the hugest sushi train plate stack I have ever seen! I have to go try this place ASAP, if only for the cheap scallop aburi!! I can't believe it was so cheap for all those plates.

AY said...

LOL! After work sushi plates built as tall as KK and AC? I don't think you know who I am ;) But I haven't had a chance to pay you a visit since I found out about your blog!

I used to be a regular at Makoto too...but have been going to the Sushi Train under Westfield more recently. Have yet to try this Mandarin Centre one though I swear the $2.50 deal was meant to be for 'New Opening' purposes only!

Jacq @ Penguin says Feed Me! said...

Love this place! Best value sushi in Chatswood I reckon and they don't skimp on quality either. I can never get enough of the seared scallops, I always end up eating way too many plates of these =D

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Haha...there's nothing like cheaper-than-usual food that encourages insane eating! I've yet to try this place myself, but my advice is to give Ozeki (Chase) a miss - the variety is good but on both my visits I found the rice a little too compressed in both the rolls and nigiri.

panda said...

missklicious - i was working it out, it ends up being about 5-6 plates pp...i think it would be quite easy to beat that record :)

stephcookie - yep, do try this place asap and get as many plates of the scallop aburi as you can. hopefully they maintain the $2.50 pricing, it's a bargain!

ay - who r u ay? you've got me curious now. well hopefully i find out soon. there's a sushi train under westfield? will check it out! and well, i do hope they keep the $2.50 pricing!

penguin - after salmon, my favourite would be the seared scallops too!

mademoiselle delicieuse - agree agree, the joys of eating! i've walked by ozeki a couple of times and they seem quite empty when the line outside makoto has gone out the door. thanks for the advice!

Trisha said...

Oh my goodness look at that stack of empty sushi plates! I can easily finish off... uhm... never mind hehe it's too embarrassing to reveal my number! :P

Unknown said...

Well we were quite close to 20 between the two of us at Makoto last time we went.. But in your defence most was eaten by myself :)

Two fit and fun gals said...

lol@ the plate stack!

panda said...

trish - trust me, i've eaten a lot more than 6 plates by myself! hehe...now you've got me curious!

justin - you don't eat as much these days!

betty - it was actually a lot of fun building that plate stack and well, the sushi was good :)

mashi said...

looks yummy and like you guys had lots of fun. I'm really jealous coz I'll never be able to build a stack of sushi plates that high! Good work team =)

panda said...

mashi - we were there again on sunday night after the beach and easily knocked the previous record by more than 10 plates.. i think we were all very hungry :) i'm counting you in next time!

Mandarin Centre said...

Hi,

I'm the admin of the Mandarin Centre FaceBook page. Would you mind if we grab your photos and add them to our album?

Thank you!
JGD

panda said...

mandarin centre - yep that's fine if i you're using it for facebook. thanks for popping by my site!

Mandarin Centre said...

Thank you so much, Jenny.

We've added them here - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=31370&id=142928352384033&saved#!/album.php?aid=31370&id=142928352384033


Please feel free to visit our FaceBook page. Do you have a FaceBook profile? We'd love to you as a friend.